New York, May 18, 2026, 05:02 (EDT)
- EchoStar finished at $137.23, gaining 1.57%. The move came after the FCC cleared its spectrum sales to AT&T and SpaceX.
- The deals could help with balance-sheet stress, but the $2.4 billion escrow requirement is still a risk.
- Investors are watching weak pay-TV trends and EchoStar’s “going concern” warning.
EchoStar is trading around last week’s highs in U.S. pre-market hours Monday after regulators approved its near $40 billion wireless spectrum sale to AT&T and SpaceX. The Dish parent has become a standout trade in telecom after the deal. Spectrum refers to licensed airwaves for wireless signals.
Nasdaq’s pre-market session is open from 4:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Eastern in New York, with regular trading set to kick off at 9:30 a.m. For now, Friday’s close remains the standard reference before today’s open.
EchoStar finished Friday at $137.23, up $2.12, or 1.57%, with around 5.46 million shares trading hands, company data said. Shares gained every day from Tuesday to Friday after the FCC move. Friday’s intraday top hit $139.00, just shy of Thursday’s $139.54.
FCC’s clearance cuts out a big regulatory snag from a rescue plan that’s based on selling spectrum instead of pushing for a full-scale national wireless rollout. AT&T is set to pay $23 billion for about 50 megahertz of airwaves. SpaceX is picking up 65 megahertz for $17 billion, aiming to power direct-to-device links for Starlink, connecting satellites straight to phones.
EchoStar is “THE SpaceX play, for now,” New Street Research analyst Pierre Ferragu said in a note cited by Investing.com. Ferragu said the SpaceX valuation priced into EchoStar shares “looks low vs. reported IPO values.” New Street gave EchoStar a buy and a $161 price target last week. Investing.com
Shift in US wireless competition. AT&T has picked up spectrum for 5G capacity, as Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile said Thursday they’re planning a joint venture to tackle rural “dead zones” with direct-to-device satellite. Analysts in a Reuters report called that a possible defensive move as SpaceX moves into wireless coverage.
EchoStar posted weaker results for the first quarter, with revenue at $3.67 billion compared to $3.87 billion last year. Net loss attributable to EchoStar came in at $146.9 million. The company lost about 366,000 pay-TV subscribers, but added around 16,000 retail wireless subscribers.
EchoStar’s risk now centers on deal closing, not TV subs. In its 10-Q, the company said funding from AT&T and SpaceX deals doesn’t count as committed until the deals close. It said it hasn’t got enough cash, expected cash flow, or committed financing to cover obligations for at least a year, raising “substantial doubt” about its ability to keep operating as a going concern — the standard accounting signal for business survival troubles. SEC
FCC OK’d the deal but said EchoStar has to put $2.4 billion into escrow to cover possible claims about network builds or similar disputes. EchoStar called the escrow demand “unprecedented” and said it’s still figuring out what to do. Light Reading
Court action is possible but probably not coming, New Street’s Blair Levin, a former FCC official, told Light Reading. “The spectrum saga is not over,” Levin wrote. But he said a legal challenge to the transfer isn’t likely. LightShed Partners analysts Walter Piecyk and Joe Galone sounded less sure: “We doubt that is the last word from Ergen,” they said. Light Reading
Looking to the coming week, investors are waiting to see if EchoStar gives an update on the escrow, if tower and infrastructure lawsuits start to intensify, and if pre-market interest actually turns into action after Friday’s move. Bulls point to the FCC approval, calling it a step toward getting cash and tying the company to SpaceX. But the risks are clear too: delays, legal trouble, or bigger claims could push the focus back onto EchoStar’s balance sheet.