Today: 19 May 2026
Glencore freezes $1 billion Quebec Horne Smelter upgrade amid arsenic-emissions standoff
3 February 2026
1 min read

Glencore freezes $1 billion Quebec Horne Smelter upgrade amid arsenic-emissions standoff

ROUYN-NORANDA, Feb. 3, 2026, 13:18 (EST)

Glencore announced Tuesday it’s putting on hold nearly $1 billion in planned investments at the Horne Smelter, the biggest copper producer in Canada, after Quebec failed to provide what the company calls regulatory certainty on emissions limits. COO Marc Bédard said they had “worked in good faith” but the necessary conditions to move forward just weren’t there. Reuters

Glencore Canada announced it is freezing all investments linked to emissions cuts and facility upgrades, while rolling out a demobilization plan that will see crews and contractors stood down starting Feb. 3. The company also revealed plans to trim spending at its Canadian Copper Refinery in Montreal, signaling the impact will extend beyond Rouyn-Noranda.

Quebec’s arsenic crackdown has been brewing for years. Back in 2022, Environment Minister Benoit Charette announced plans to set an ambient-air arsenic limit at 15 ng/m³—as a stepping stone toward a tighter provincial standard of 3 ng/m³. He also warned the smelter might face closure if it didn’t meet the new rules.

The company had already flagged the critical deadline before its latest move. On Jan. 30, it said talks with the Government of Quebec were ongoing ahead of a self-imposed Jan. 31 cutoff, but key issues remained unresolved and breaking the deadlock was “critical.” It stressed that the next generation of environmental projects would need stability and predictability throughout the next ministerial authorization — the province’s operating permit. newswire.ca

Glencore insists the issue goes beyond a single plant. Back in December, it highlighted that the Horne smelter and refinery make up Canada’s only fully integrated copper-smelting and refining operation, supporting over 3,200 direct and indirect jobs and adding nearly $850 million in value. Vincent Plante emphasized the company’s “real and serious” intent to invest, but stressed it hinges on having a “stable” long-term framework. newswire.ca

Closure has been looming. A Reuters report in November cited two sources familiar with the situation, saying Glencore plans to shut the Horne smelter due to environmental concerns and expensive upgrades. A company spokesperson pushed back, saying it is “not currently considering” closing either the smelter or the refinery. The report also mentioned a class-action lawsuit in Quebec linked to arsenic emissions. Reuters

The stakes here are real. The World Health Organization warns that inorganic arsenic is highly toxic and linked to cancer after prolonged exposure. Industrial sources also contribute to the risk.

The bigger risk, though, is timing — what if neither side gives ground? Mining Weekly reported on Feb. 3 that Glencore still hasn’t reached a deal with Quebec on a long-term regulatory framework, missing its Jan. 31 deadline. The next steps depend on quickly hammering out workable terms. If talks drag on, the upgrade work stays on hold, raising the chance that political wrangling, permit delays, and an aging industrial site will clash once more.

Stock Market Today

  • Congress Moves to Ban Campaign Funds Betting on Prediction Markets
    May 19, 2026, 9:35 AM EDT. Rep. Ritchie Torres has introduced legislation aiming to prohibit the use of campaign funds for betting on prediction markets-platforms where participants wager on the outcomes of future events. This move reflects growing concerns within Congress about the ethical implications and regulatory gaps surrounding these markets. Prediction markets have gained attention for their potential to forecast elections and other political outcomes but remain largely unregulated. The proposed ban would mark a significant step toward tightening control over campaign finance and gambling activities linked to political forecasting.

Latest articles

Rubico Stock More Than Doubles Before the Bell as Heavy Volume Hits Small Tanker Name

Rubico Stock More Than Doubles Before the Bell as Heavy Volume Hits Small Tanker Name

19 May 2026
New York, May 19, 2026, 09:03 EDT Rubico Inc shares more than doubled in U.S. premarket trading on Tuesday, putting the small Nasdaq-listed tanker company in focus ahead of the regular session. The stock was quoted at $3.94 at 9:01 a.m. EDT, up 127.75% from Monday’s close of $1.73, after falling 6.49% in the prior session. The move matters because it came with unusually heavy turnover. Investing.com listed Rubico’s last premarket price at $3.88 and premarket volume at 34.04 million shares, far above its average volume of roughly 95,000. There was no newly released earnings report driving the move in
Adobe Stock Rises Before the Open as AI Selloff Faces a Fresh Test

Adobe Stock Rises Before the Open as AI Selloff Faces a Fresh Test

19 May 2026
Adobe shares rose 2.14% to $261.10 in premarket trading Tuesday after closing Monday up 3.25%. The move came as S&P 500 and Nasdaq futures fell, with tech stocks under pressure. Adobe’s market value stood near $103.33 billion, well below last year’s high. The company recently approved a $25 billion stock buyback through 2030.
Wellgistics Health Doubles, WGRX Heads Into Key Test

Wellgistics Health Doubles, WGRX Heads Into Key Test

19 May 2026
Wellgistics Health shares fell 21.1% to $0.14 in premarket trading Tuesday after more than doubling Monday. The company delayed its quarterly report, withdrew proxy materials, and is reviewing potential strategic transactions. First-quarter results are due after the market closes. The moves follow a non-binding $15 million acquisition proposal for WellCare Today.

Popular

Intel Shares Edge Up as AI Chip Trade Runs Into Hurdles

Intel Shares Edge Up as AI Chip Trade Runs Into Hurdles

18 May 2026
Intel shares rose 0.3% to $109.10 in early New York trading Monday after last week’s selloff, as analysts raised price targets and President Trump commented on the U.S. government’s 10% stake, now valued above $50 billion. First-quarter revenue climbed 7% to $13.6 billion, with Data Center and AI sales up 22%. The iShares Semiconductor ETF fell 0.9%. Intel’s server CPU market share dropped to 54.9% in Q1, according to UBS.
Thomson Reuters stock tumbles after National Bank target cut, as AI fears hit legal-data peers
Previous Story

Thomson Reuters stock tumbles after National Bank target cut, as AI fears hit legal-data peers

Qualcomm stock tumbles ahead of earnings as investors weigh analyst note, key executive exit
Next Story

Qualcomm stock tumbles ahead of earnings as investors weigh analyst note, key executive exit

Go toTop