Today: 21 May 2026
Oil prices brace for a volatile week after Iran strikes: Hormuz disruption and OPEC+ output move in focus
1 March 2026
2 mins read

Oil prices brace for a volatile week after Iran strikes: Hormuz disruption and OPEC+ output move in focus

LONDON, March 1, 2026, 12:16 GMT — The session is over; markets have closed.

  • OPEC+ has given a preliminary nod to upping output by 206,000 barrels per day, even as Gulf shipments run into disruption.
  • Rising navigation risks at Hormuz have tanker and container lines either halting voyages or shifting their routes.
  • Monday’s reopening is set to give traders their first unfiltered read on prices since the weekend escalation.

OPEC+ settled on a plan Sunday to boost oil output by 206,000 barrels a day, despite shipping snarls in the Gulf after Iran warned shipowners that the Strait of Hormuz was off limits. With oil markets closed for the weekend, the real question is whether these additional barrels mean much if tankers are stuck.

The Strait of Hormuz—just a narrow strip of water between Iran and Oman—handles roughly a fifth of all the world’s oil, plus hefty LNG volumes moving out of Qatar. Now, with several tanker operators, energy giants and trading firms halting crude, fuel, and LNG traffic, flows are grinding lower. “Our ships will stay put for several days,” a senior trading desk executive said. It isn’t a full standstill yet, but disruption is “building rapidly,” shipbroker Poten & Partners noted. Reuters

Brent crude finished Friday at $72.48 a barrel, gaining $1.73, or 2.45%. U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) wrapped up at $67.02, up $1.81, or 2.78%. Both contracts had been hovering around multi-month highs ahead of the strikes, setting up traders to recalibrate from a loftier starting point when markets open Monday.

Japan’s major shippers are shifting course. Nippon Yusen told vessels to stop transiting through the area. Mitsui O.S.K. Lines said it’s holding back from the strait, directing ships to stay in safer zones. Kawasaki Kisen, for its part, said there’s no way to reroute cargoes already in the Persian Gulf.

Analysts aren’t mincing words: the initial move could be straight back toward a fatter “war premium” as traders price in extra supply risk. Barclays analysts flagged a scenario where “Brent could hit $100.” Helima Croft, who heads commodities research at RBC Capital, said the scale depends on how far Iran’s Revolutionary Guards go with any escalation, and pointed out OPEC’s limited “shock absorbers”—that is, spare capacity ready to deploy. If the Strait of Hormuz faces a drawn-out disruption, Rystad Energy’s Jorge Leon put the “effective loss” at 8-10 million barrels a day. Reuters

Gas markets are feeling the impact. Israel’s Energy Ministry has temporarily halted operations at sections of its natural gas reservoirs, sources said, affecting the Chevron-run Leviathan field. Energean reported its own production vessel is offline as well.

No reports have surfaced of damage to oil and gas infrastructure from Iran’s retaliatory strikes, yet traders aren’t waiting around — the risk to shipping alone is driving the action. Tanker freight costs are up sharply. Benchmark rates for very large crude carriers sailing from the Middle East to China have more than tripled since the year began, squeezed by both heightened risk and a shrinking pool of willing vessels.

Investors got a taste of jitters in regional markets. Saudi Aramco climbed 2.6% on Sunday as traders bet on pricier oil, while most Gulf stocks slipped and Kuwait’s bourse halted activity. Analysts flagged that shipping hazards around Hormuz may soon overshadow any short-lived boost from stronger crude.

Still, there’s no certainty the price surge will last. Barclays noted late Friday that without a meaningful disruption in supply from the standoff, the $3-$5 a barrel risk premium might unwind rapidly. Yet even a 1 million barrel-per-day shortfall, the bank said, would put pressure on the market’s surplus story.

The next thing to watch is straightforward: Brent and WTI futures trade resumes Monday, and any indication shipowners are ready to restart Gulf sailings will matter. Traders are also looking for specifics on OPEC+ and its output hike—especially if those extra barrels can actually exit the region, given ongoing uncertainty over Hormuz shipping lanes.

Stock Market Today

  • Equity Residential and AvalonBay to Merge in $69 Billion U.S. Housing Deal
    May 21, 2026, 12:08 PM EDT. Equity Residential and AvalonBay Communities announced an all-stock merger to create a $69 billion housing rental giant. The deal, expected to close in the second half of 2026, will give AvalonBay shareholders 51.2% ownership in the combined company. The firms operate in overlapping U.S. markets, promising $175 million in annual synergies within 18 months through reduced overhead and property management costs. The merger also aims to leverage larger data sets for AI-driven demand forecasting. AvalonBay CEO Benjamin Schall will lead the new entity, while Equity Residential CEO Mark Parrell will retire post-transaction.

Latest articles

Applied Digital’s AI Stock Just Hit a Wall After Its $7.5 Billion Win

Applied Digital Jumps After $7.5B AI Lease

21 May 2026
Applied Digital shares climbed 17% Thursday after the company signed a $7.5 billion, 15-year AI data-center lease for its Polaris Forge 3 campus. The deal lifts contracted lease revenue to $31 billion, or $73 billion with renewals. Shares reached $46.42, up $6.90, with volume at 18.7 million. Analysts raised price targets but noted risks around execution and customer concentration.
John Deere’s 300-Job U.S. Expansion Faces the Layoff Math Behind Its Comeback

Deere stock falls after earnings beat, weak farm demand hurts rally

21 May 2026
Deere & Co shares dropped 7.1% to $520.62 after the company beat quarterly forecasts but held its full-year profit outlook steady. Fiscal Q2 net income fell to $1.773 billion, while large agriculture sales dropped 14% and operating profit slid 39%. Construction and small equipment segments posted gains. Deere maintained its 2026 net income forecast at $4.5–$5.0 billion.
Ford Shares on the Move as $3.8 Billion Battery Plan Advances

Ford Shares on the Move as $3.8 Billion Battery Plan Advances

21 May 2026
Ford shares rose 0.9% to $13.35 Thursday after a filing showed it assumed a $3.805 billion DOE loan for a Kentucky battery plant and ended a $6.6 billion commitment to BlueOval SK. Ford’s membership in BlueOval SK was redeemed, and a subsidiary acquired interests in two Kentucky battery plants. The loan carries a 4.814% rate and requires Ford to keep $4 billion liquidity. Broader markets were weaker.
STI flirts with 5,000: Yangzijiang and AEM set the pace on SGX in the week ahead
Previous Story

STI flirts with 5,000: Yangzijiang and AEM set the pace on SGX in the week ahead

Amazon stock in focus after $50 billion OpenAI partnership lands in SEC filing
Next Story

Amazon stock in focus after $50 billion OpenAI partnership lands in SEC filing

Go toTop