Today: 21 May 2026
Regulator says Tunbridge Wells water outage was preventable as South East Water boss faces MPs
6 January 2026
1 min read

Regulator says Tunbridge Wells water outage was preventable as South East Water boss faces MPs

London, Jan 6, 2026, 16:19 GMT

  • Drinking water watchdog says Pembury works failure was spotted weeks early and could have been stopped
  • South East Water CEO tells MPs response was “Eight out of ten” but admits missteps on communication
  • Lawmakers scrutinise resilience and regulation after 24,000 homes lost safe water for up to two weeks

Britain’s Drinking Water Inspectorate said a breakdown at South East Water’s Pembury treatment works in Kent that left 24,000 homes around Tunbridge Wells without safe drinking water for two weeks was spotted weeks earlier and could have been stopped. Chief inspector Marcus Rink told MPs the firm failed to run tests requested by the regulator and to install a filter to stop heavy metals after a key treatment chemical failed, and he said it was “flying blind”. Rink added: “It shouldn’t have been a surprise,” while chief executive David Hinton said the incident followed a raw-water chemistry change not seen in 20 years and pointed to rising demand and climate pressures. The Guardian

The evidence session is part of Parliament’s inquiry into reforming the water sector and follows the Tunbridge Wells supply failure late last year. Residents in Tunbridge Wells and surrounding villages were told on Nov. 29 that tap water was unsafe to drink, bathe, brush teeth with or give to pets, Parliament’s committees website said.

The Inspectorate has been investigating the incident as a drinking-water quality event, adding to pressure on the company over how it handled the crisis. It said in December it had opened a “full water quality investigation” covering South East Water’s actions before, during and after the event, including its communications to consumers. Drinking Water Inspectorate

Under questioning on Tuesday, Hinton apologised and told MPs he would score the company’s response “Eight out of ten” on restoring supplies, while giving lower marks on communication and preventing the failure. Committee chair Alistair Carmichael responded: “It sounds like you’re not really in control of your own business.” Hinton also acknowledged a heated call with Tunbridge Wells MP Mike Martin, telling MPs: “It wasn’t my finest moment.” ITVX

Regulators had already flagged risks at Pembury in a 2024 notice under the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations. The Inspectorate said South East Water had reported a “significant risk” of supplying water from the site that could be unwholesome or potentially dangerous to health, and it listed hazards including E. coli, turbidity, aluminium and pesticides. Drinking Water Inspectorate

The outage comes as Ofwat, the economic regulator for water in England and Wales, presses companies to fund upgrades and strengthen balance sheets. In a financial resilience report published in November, Ofwat said South East Water received £200 million in new equity in May 2025 after a £75 million injection in December 2024, and warned further equity may be required. Ofwat said its latest price review supports £104 billion of sector spending in 2025–30, known as AMP8, the next five-year investment period.

Stock Market Today

  • Equity Residential and AvalonBay to Merge in $69 Billion U.S. Housing Deal
    May 21, 2026, 12:08 PM EDT. Equity Residential and AvalonBay Communities announced an all-stock merger to create a $69 billion housing rental giant. The deal, expected to close in the second half of 2026, will give AvalonBay shareholders 51.2% ownership in the combined company. The firms operate in overlapping U.S. markets, promising $175 million in annual synergies within 18 months through reduced overhead and property management costs. The merger also aims to leverage larger data sets for AI-driven demand forecasting. AvalonBay CEO Benjamin Schall will lead the new entity, while Equity Residential CEO Mark Parrell will retire post-transaction.

Latest articles

Applied Digital’s AI Stock Just Hit a Wall After Its $7.5 Billion Win

Applied Digital Jumps After $7.5B AI Lease

21 May 2026
Applied Digital shares climbed 17% Thursday after the company signed a $7.5 billion, 15-year AI data-center lease for its Polaris Forge 3 campus. The deal lifts contracted lease revenue to $31 billion, or $73 billion with renewals. Shares reached $46.42, up $6.90, with volume at 18.7 million. Analysts raised price targets but noted risks around execution and customer concentration.
John Deere’s 300-Job U.S. Expansion Faces the Layoff Math Behind Its Comeback

Deere stock falls after earnings beat, weak farm demand hurts rally

21 May 2026
Deere & Co shares dropped 7.1% to $520.62 after the company beat quarterly forecasts but held its full-year profit outlook steady. Fiscal Q2 net income fell to $1.773 billion, while large agriculture sales dropped 14% and operating profit slid 39%. Construction and small equipment segments posted gains. Deere maintained its 2026 net income forecast at $4.5–$5.0 billion.
Ford Shares on the Move as $3.8 Billion Battery Plan Advances

Ford Shares on the Move as $3.8 Billion Battery Plan Advances

21 May 2026
Ford shares rose 0.9% to $13.35 Thursday after a filing showed it assumed a $3.805 billion DOE loan for a Kentucky battery plant and ended a $6.6 billion commitment to BlueOval SK. Ford’s membership in BlueOval SK was redeemed, and a subsidiary acquired interests in two Kentucky battery plants. The loan carries a 4.814% rate and requires Ford to keep $4 billion liquidity. Broader markets were weaker.
Tesla stock slides on Europe sales slump as BYD gains; traders eye Jan. 28 earnings
Previous Story

Tesla stock slides on Europe sales slump as BYD gains; traders eye Jan. 28 earnings

Fermi Inc (FRMI) stock jumps nearly 10% as class-action filing adds pressure
Next Story

Fermi Inc (FRMI) stock jumps nearly 10% as class-action filing adds pressure

Go toTop